Friday 24 April 2020 tasks from Mrs Grenfell

I hope you are all working hard and taking care of each other in your bubbles. You will remember that we did a pretty cool Science experiment about GERMS and how important it is to wash our hands. Here is another experiment for you to try:

Growing mould

What You Need:

Two slices of wholewheat or any dark bread. (White bread takes longer to grow mould because it has so many preservatives in it, unless, of course, it’s homemade!)

Ziploc sandwich bag – for each slice of bread

Tongs
Permanent marker
Spray bottle

What You Do:

1. Use the permanent marker to label two sandwich bags: “Touched” and “Not Touched.”
  2. Have a lovely time playing outside, climbing, swinging, digging in the vege garden to help out,  riding your bike and just having FUN!
  3. Come inside and “wipe” your hands to get rid of the dirt you can see. DON’T wash your hands yet.
  4. Use the tongs to remove a slice of bread from the wrapped loaf and place in the sandwich bag marked “Not touched.”
  5. Take another slice of bread and rub your hands on both sides of the bread.
  6. Then put this slice into the bag labeled “Touched.” Before zipping the bag, give one to two gentle little sprays of water into each bag.
  7. Close both bags and tape or place on a shelf, in a closet, or inside a cupboard. Check the bags every few days.
  8. Which one grows the most mould first? Please send me a photo of your mould and tell me how long it took before the mould started growing.

REMEMBER to always WASH your hands thoroughly (very well). This song may help you!

The Handwashing Song (To the Tune of Frere Jacques)

Over, under

Over, under

Scrub between

Scrub between

Rinse the tops and bottoms

Rinse the tops and bottoms

Hands are clean!

Hands are clean!

SO…………….

What’s happening on the bread?

Mould will grow on both slices of bread, but much sooner and there will be more, on the “Touched” slice. It’s really important to understand that the germs that you did not see after you just wiped your hands, became food for the mould. We certainly wouldn’t want to eat those germs, would we? Best to wash them off carefully after playing, riding bikes and going to the toilet.

EAT the RAINBOW

Photos from Learning Resources.com

During lockdown, we have done heaps of delicious baking and making yummy treats. While this is great, it’s also important remember to eat healthy food and fruit. See if you can create a healthy plate and EAT the RAINBO–  send me a photo or write a list of what you created and ate.

Why do we have dawn parades?

After the First World War, soldiers wanted to remember their friends who had died. They decided to meet at dawn because it is a peaceful, quiet time. It was also at dawn, when the Australian and New Zealand soldiers landed on the beach at Gallipoli. That day was 25 April 1915, the day we now call Anzac Day. (from Dawn Parade)

You can read the whole Dawn Parade story yourself have someone help you, by following the link below.

RTR-Dawn Parade

Now it’s time for you to create  an ANZAC (Kandinski) POPPY picture. You can colour or paint a red circle, add some concentric circles or dots and attach it to a straw or even a stick. I would love to see you picture when it is finished.

By | 2020-04-23T17:00:41+00:00 23rd April 2020|Room 2 Home Learning|

About the Author:

Teacher, mum and nana, that's me! I love being part of sharing learning in Room 2 at Poroti School, where I work on Thursdays and Fridays and also do some relief teaching as well. When I'm not teaching, I knit, sew and crochet, read heaps of books and bake for my family. We have chickens, fruit trees, grow our own vegetables and live off the land in a chemically reduced way - eliminating plastic and toxic sprays. I also make my own soap and body care products.

Leave A Comment